Culture Shocked in My Home Town

    I was blessed to be able to make a trip back home to Taiwan for 20 days. The total flight and layover time was a bit over 35 hours! The feeling I had upon landing at the Taoyuan International Airport is indescribable!  Dad, Mom and Isaiah were all there to welcome me home! Even though they didn’t show up with bubble milk tea and my favorite breakfast, they took me to the Mall nearby to have dinner and to shop for sports shoes! When we got home, Mom had my room ready, decorated with my Minions. The very next morning Dad and I were at the tennis courts! Mom had another bubble milk tea and breakfast ready when I got home! In fact, she had planned for me to have something different every morning! There are so many great food in Taiwan that 20 days was not long enough! 

    Upon driving around just heading to church, I noticed so many changes! It’s weird what you notice even though I had only been away for two years! Next to the Miramar Entertainment Center a new mall popped up! It’s really fancy and even has an ice skating rink! It was fun talking to people about the changes I felt while they said they didn't feel the city had changed that much. I felt like Taiwan became richer. At church, it was weird when people didn't stand when it was time to pray. But then again, it was weird for me in Brazil every time we had to stand up to pray. There was one time while I was playing tennis at the river park, I heard what sounded like gun shots. It was the nearby military base conducting practices! But I was really alert! In Brazil, usually when you hear gun shots, it's nothing good. 

    What did I do for 20 days? I met up with my junior high church youth group leader. I shared at my old youth group about YWAM in Germany and my life in Brazil. I spoke twice at House of Praise and gave the message on Ruth at Glory English Ministry Sunday Service! I also shared at the Taipei international Church Young Adults Fellowship and attended the YWAM Danhsui Base Wednesday morning Prayer Time! I met up with various friends and they all treated me to the best of Taiwan cuisine! I had my hair and nails done, and also two facials. I spent quality time with my family. I played a lot of tennis with my dad! I’m very tanned now! And with all the eating, I thought I’d gain weight but thanks to my mom, I actually lost weight! I am so blessed because my mom was very helpful in making plans for my entire stay in Taiwan!

    Overall, it was the time spent with my family and my church family that made this trip so spectacular! Yes the food was amazing, but the people are even more fabulous. I felt like I was accepted, understood, encouraged and comforted! I just can't thank God enough for these people who love me and care about me. These people are truly my family. Even though we are on the other side of the world, I know I am being prayed for and supported! They truly care about and love me. Through the conversations that we had, I've gained new perspectives and insights on different issues that I was facing in my life in Brazil. This really encouraged me!

    As I met up with my friends from high school and university, it was fun to see how their lives were so different than mine. Most of them work full time so it was interesting to hear their stories at work and how they are doing. They were all interested in what I was doing so I was glad to share and say specifically what I was doing in Brazil. 

    As it was time to leave, it was tough. Goodbyes are never easy. But trusting in God's plans and relying on Him give me hope as I made my way back to Brazil. Everyone was very happy to see me! I am loved and cared for here in Brazil as well. Praise the Lord.

This is our new family photo for this year. I told mom I wanted to make the big poster. We had a fun time as always. And we wore my Brazilian "futebol" team shirts. Vai Corinthians!!!

These were how the photos turned out!

This is my YWAM Danshui family. Some I've already known but I also met new friends! It was really fun indeed. They also connected me up with YWAM family in Brazil that I can meet and visit.

It really took me 2 days to get back to Taiwan. I left on a Wednesday night and arrived on a Friday night. I was blessed to have smooth travels. 4 planes and 5 airports. It was my first time being on Qatar Airways and being in Duha Airport, which has been the number 1 airport for the past 3 years. I was really satisfied with the service. Taiwan looked so beautiful from the sky. The Portuguese named it right! Taiwan is Formosa!

This was my first meal. Very Taiwanese! And yummy!

One of my favorite places.

On the left is a very famous Taiwanese breakfast called turnip cake. And on the left is a typical Taiwanese bakery filled with delicious things!!!
On the left is shengjian bao, a steamed bun with vegetables or meat.
On the left is Imagawayaki, a known street food. On the right is Cantonese food at a very nice and 24 hour restaurant.

These are my closest friends from college!!! We had so much fun.

Met with people I've known for over 10 years now. You can see Hope Mountain on the screen.

These are typical Taiwanese food as well. It gets so hot that sometimes you just want a shaved ice to cool down. That's one of my dad's favorite things to do. We put fruit, boba, taro, sweet red beans... etc. Cold noodles and tampura are super typical as well.

The city of Taipei has it's own personality and attitude. It was fun noticing things I didn't before. For example, the traffic prioritized pedestrians even more.

My home is beautiful. Took this photo when I was running one morning.

My church family and there were some that I didn't take a photo with. I absolutely love them to the end.

I did my nails and the lady was amazing. I enjoyed talking to her, listening to her and also praying for her. She used to be closer to God but now she doesn't feel God or care much about Him.

On the left was super interesting. It's Chinese and American food combined. They put a burger patty on rice! Loved it! And the cat was super social. I wanted to kidnap him back to Brazil.

I grew up in this night market and it was nice seeing it flourish once again after the pandemic.

We got to go a little farther to another night market. It's very well known.

It was East Asian rainy season so it would be super hot and sunny in the morning but then rain heavily in the afternoon.


Again... wonderful food that you can't get in Brazil.

Many people said I've changed, that I've become a woman now. I would say it's a huge compliment.

Last selfie with my mom before leaving. Again, seeing Taiwan from above was amazing. I had cute airplane food.




Comments

  1. Love the pictures! Fabulous post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a god and positive story, written with passion and love. I wish you a happy and fruitful good trip to Brazil. Hope to hear from you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿงก

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great blog. I was waiting for it and finally !!! Beautiful pictures and people of course. So nice you had a good time. Next time come to LA !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aunty Annie! ❤️❤️❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Adjusting Once Again

Amazing Birthday Weekend

A very WARM Christmas